The last post was about two easy sympathy cards. The next two took some time to plan and make. My friend Jess had just lost her childhood friend to a drunk driver. Her friend was walking home from work late one night and he was hit by a drunk driver and later died at the hospital. Her friend’s Dad used to be a business partner with her Dad, so both families were very close.
I looked high and low in my stash for an ivory patterned paper, it has a slight white flourish on it. I used a butterfly template to put a slight sparkly pattern on top. I set this piece off to the the side and started working on the butterflies. I found three patterns in my 6×6 papers that matched my colors of black, grey, white and ivory. I settled on three 6×6 patterns and then punched out 5 of each. So each butterfly will have three patterns of paper.
Once I decided on the order of the pattern papers for the butterflies I glued them together using A LOT of Zots! I laid the grey butterfly flat on the table with the grey side up. Then I cut up a large Zot into strips. I put one strip vertically on the body of the butterfly, then I line up the next patterned butterfly, which was a small newsprint pattern. I put another strip of a Zot vertically on the next butterfly, and I lined up the black and white patterned butterfly on top. I did this for all of the 5 butterflies. I gently folded the wings along their bodies on both sides. To finish the body and make it look like a body, I cut a long piece of very sticky thin red tape. Make sure the tape is long enough to wrap around the center of the body vertically and end on the back ok the butterfly stack. I took a piece of ribbon and covered the sticky tape. I then repeated this for all the stacks of butterflies.
I arranged the stacks of butterflies on the background paper with the sparkly butterflies. To attach them to paper, I used more sticky red tape. In order to make the butterflies look real, I gave them a black gem for their head and I drew tiny little antennas out of the black gem. I attached the pattern paper background to a solid piece of black card stock. I tied a white ribbon with a golden sparkle in a simple small bow. To finish the card, I stamped the sentiment in VersaMark and covered it with gold embossing powder and used a heat gun to set it. I cut the strip of paper into a banner and attached it with foam tape, so it wouldn’t be hidden by the bow.
I noticed that the grey butterfly on the bottom of the pile would be hard to see, so I attached its wings with a small Zot to the background. Then I folded the wings around the body so that the two top butterflies would stay up. I added the tiny black butterflies in at the very end, when I thought that there were not enough butterflies on the card.
Ink: VersaMark. Stamps: A Dozen Thoughts (Stampin’ Up). Paper: ivory doily pattern paper, black card stock, 6×6 pattern papers from several sets. Other: small butterfly template and Gold Spray Mists (Heidi Swapp), black gems, black ribbon, butterfly punch (Stampin’ Up), tiny butterfly punch (Martha Stewart), gold embossing powder (Stampin’ Up), Zots, thin red tape
To make the other card, I stuck with the same colors as used for the butterfly card.
First I cut all paper for this card. The I stamped the ivory paper with Sahara Sand, Going Grey and Black with all the shells. I added some gold embossed shells to the top to match the gold embossed sentiment. I matted the shell paper with solid black card stock. I attached both together and matted the newsprint on black card stock as well. I cut a piece of the woven kraft ribbon and attached to all 4 layers using large Zots. I then tied a simple bow on top and around all the layers.
Jess loved both cards.
Inks: Sahara Sand and Going Grey (Stampin’ Up), Black, VersaMark. Stamps: A Dozen Thoughts and By The Seashore (Stampin Up). Paper: newsprint pattern paper (Stampin Up), ivory and black card stock. Other: gold embossing powder (Stampin’ Up), black ribbon, woven kraft ribbon.